Press conference tomorrow 11am on People Before Profit Climate Emergency Bill
Bríd Smith TD to be joined by Icelandic MP, environmental experts and Green Party rep
Tomorrow (11/06/2019) at 11am in Buswells Hotel on Molesworth Street a press conference will be held to highlight the Climate Emergency Bill and the need for Ireland to keep fossil fuels in the ground.
The bill was supposed to be before the committee tomorrow but the Minister has since said that it needs a money message despite the fact that the Oireachtas Bills office had said previously that it does not need a money message.
The panel will outline how gas is not a transition fuel; how crucial it is that Ireland keeps fossil fuels in the ground; how Ireland can be a beacon and can inspire other countries; and will discuss the money message.
People Before Profit’s Bríd Smith TD will be joined on the panel by:
- Environmental journalist and activist John Gibbons,
- Icelandic MP Andrés Ingi Jónsson who has tabled a bill based on the People Before Profit Climate Emergency Bill in the Icelandic Parliament;
- Greg Muttit of Oil Change international who have recently released a report showing how gas is not a transition fuel;
- Green Party TD Catherine Martin
Notes- At 3pm tomorrow the joint committee looking at the bill will meet the minister the query why the bill needs a money message.
– Later tomorrow evening at 530pm there will be a demonstration outside the Dáil in support of the People Before Profit Climate Emergency Bill.