Bríd Smith TD from People Before Profit is hosting a public meeting on ‘Stop the War in Yemen’ to draw public attention to the plight of its people.
The meeting will be held over zoom tonight at 7.30pm and people can register by going to: https://www.facebook.com/events/921278098699598/
Speakers at the meeting include:
· Tim Anderson, Director of the Centre for Counter Hegemonic Studies
· Mohammad Alwazir, Director Legal Affairs, Arabian Rights Watch Association.
· Ms. Jehan Hakim, Chair of The Yemeni Alliance Committee, USA
· Ahmed Alshami, Executive Director Arabian Rights Watch Association and civil society observer at the UN talks.
· Mick Wallace, member of the European Parliament
· Aziz Almoayyad, Saudi activist
Bríd Smith TD will say:
“Ireland has won a seat as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council and so it should use its voice to call for a halt to this dreadful war. It should call for a complete boycott of arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the full and immediate withdrawal of Saudi and UAE from the Yemen.”
Mr. Alwazir, Legal Director at Arabian Rights Watch Association:
“The Saudi Coalition and all those backing the expired Yemeni administration in exile, have severely violated the Yemeni people’s right to self-determination by launching an unlawful war, without a UN mandate or legal justification, involving unlawful airstrikes and an unlawful blockade, that presents no identifiable military advantage that could justify the killing and maiming of more than 300,000 civilians or the extreme suffering of millions of people in Yemen.”