Mel Reynolds (Architect & Housing
Richard Boyd Barrett TD
Conor Reddy ( Take Back the City)
Chloe Power (President IADT Students Union)
Monday 19 November @ 7.30pm
On October 3rd, 12000 people joined a massive #RaiseTheRoof demonstration outside the Dail calling for emergency measures to deal with the housing and homelessness crisis.
This enormous show of people power resulted in the passing of a crossparty Dail Motion put forward by People Before Proft calling for a series of radical measures to deal with the housing crisis including a call for an additional €1 billion to build public housing on public land. Disgracefully, Fine Gael have completely ignored this and shown total contempt for democracy, refusing to implement these measures in the recent budget. Instead we got a landlord’s budget with Fine Gael giving yet more handouts to the landlords and property speculators who have helped create the crisis in the frst place. As long as this government continues to rely on proft driven landlords, developers and property speculators the housing crisis will continue to get worse. We need a radical change in policy and major investment to provide public and aﬀordable housing on public land for all those who need it and to fght for real rent controls and against evictions. People Before Proft have been at the heart of the National Homeless and Housing Coalition, a Coalition of more than 50 community campaign and action groups, housing NGOs, trade unions, civil society groups and political parties. We are committed to building a national housing movement to end the housing crisis. We say:
- Initiate an accelerated scheme of building to deliver 100,000 public homes on public land over the next fve years
- Criminalize economic evictions
- Immediately introduce rent controls that make rents aﬀordable
- Increase income thresholds for local authority housing to make safe, secure, aﬀordable and quality housing in sustainable communities a reality for all ordinary people
- Hold a referendum to insert the Right to a Home into the constitution Come to this important public meeting where we will discuss real solutions to the housing crisis and how we can build a mass movement of people power make sure these are implemented.