Deirdre Wadding is a former teacher and currently a member of Wexford Arts Hub and founder of COIRE SOIS School Of Irish Spirituality. She is a committed activist and former County Councillor who was involved in the Water Charges campaign, Together For Yes, Yes Equality and housing campaigns. She is committed to action on rent control, public housing and CAMHS provision.
She is passionate about equality, human rights and the environment. If elected, she will take only the average wage.
- CAMHS: I pledge to fight tirelessly for full staffing of CAMHS. Wexford has the highest rate of suicide in Ireland and almost no services.
- Rosslare Europort has been run down and neglected. I will push for full regeneration and public ownership to re-energise the port and generate jobs.
- Public Transport: I will fight for better public transport for Wexford, ensuring the continuation of rail services and seeking the reinstatement of the Number 2 service from Wexford to Rosslare Harbour.
- Fishing and Farming: I will fight for a better deal for our decimated fishing industry and support our farmers, tackling the stranglehold of the Big Agri corporates.
- Support small, independent, local traders by seeking differential rates legislation, giving local workers a chance to compete with the multinational franchises.
- I will push for the building of two new secondary schools in County Wexford, in Wexford and Gorey.
- Fight for public housing and control of vulture funds.
- Fight for additional beds and full staffing for Wexford Hospital and 24/7 cardiac services for the South-East region.
- Fight for justice for the Magdelene/Mother-and-Baby Home survivors.
- I will push for a restoration of the Local Government Fund and the return of meaningful powers to local government.