CAMPAIGN TO SAVE RESPITE SERVICES IN CHERRYORCHARD HOSPITAL: CLARIFICATION
Earlier today (14/07/09) the Campaign To Save Respite Services in Cherryorchard Hospital issued a statement welcoming the reversal of the decision to close the The
Earlier today (14/07/09) the Campaign To Save Respite Services in Cherryorchard Hospital issued a statement welcoming the reversal of the decision to close the The
Local Councillors and patients’ families learned today (14/07/09) from the HSE in Cherryorchard Hospital that the controversial decision to close the Beech Unit has been reversed. The Beech Unit will remain open for the foreseeable future. This has been the result of a magnificent campaign by the families, who care for the patients, and the local community.
However, there will be some beds closing for the Summer months and the decision on how many beds and in what units the closures will take place, will not be made until early next week.
The families whose loved ones receive respite care in the Beech Unit at the hospital are delighted with the news. Their loved ones will not be disrupted or moved and will remain in Cherryorchard respite care. The Campaign to save Respite Services in Cherryorchard Hospital has achieved some success in pressuring the HSE to change their approach to respite care. The HSE have reassured us that all patients involved will receive a service and disruption to patients and their families will be kept at a minimum.
But our campaign will continue to fight for every bed in Cherryorchard Hospital to be kept open by employing the necessary nursing staff instead of putting patients out to private nursing homes. Despite several requests to David Walsh, spokesperson of the HSE, who promised to give us the costings of employing nursing staff as against paying for private nursing home beds, we still have no answers.
Public meeting Ballyfermot Civic Centre on Tuesday the 14th July at 8pm to discuss what should happen next in the Campaign to Save Respite Care
NEWLY elected Clondalkin Councillor, Gino Kenny celebrated the huge gains his People Before Profit Alliance party made in the local elections by declaring that he
Last Monday was my first full Council Meeting. The long and confusing agenda looked daunting. I thought I would never get my head around it but with a lot of help from Joan and Kieran, I think I got it.
After a long discussion on emergency motions dealing with the recent flooding in Dublin, we welcomed into the council chambers Maria Metcalf who is replacing Maureen O’Sullivan. It’s great to have another truly independent councillor on board.
The next three hours was taken up with Governance Issues – appointments to committees and council bodies (most of this sorted outside of the actual meeting).
Reports from the council officials on protected structures, disposal of properties and the granting of leases then followed. One report in particular was controversial.
A three-year lease to operate the market at the Red Stables in St. Anne’s Park, Raheny was awarded to Fingal Market Management. Previously this was held by the Irish Farmers Market.
I asked the manager to answer three questions on this
1. We are told this was the most favourable tender but we are not told Why – What were the conditions submitted that made this tender the most favourable?
2. Why is the rent – €7,200 per annum – so low? I had helped a friend run a stall at that market two years ago and the rent of a stall for one day was €75 plus each stall holder had to provide their own public liability insurance and deal with their own waste. In one day of the market (and it ran two days each weekend) they would pick up about €1,000 in rent from stall holders.
NEW COUNCIL FACES IMPORTANT TEST TODAY ON PROPOSALS TO DEAL WITH IMPACT OF RECESSION
In a statement, Cllr Richard Boyd Barrett and Cllr Hugh Lewis of the People Before Profit Alliance (PBPA), said today’s meeting (Monday 6th July) of the newly elected Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Co. Council, now controlled by Labour and Fine Gael, faced an important test as to whether it was serious about taking action to deal with the impact of recession in the County.
PBPA has put forward a number of motions aimed at tackling different aspects of the economic crisis, as they are affecting citizens of the county, particularly in the areas of jobs, housing and those on low incomes.
The PBPA proposals include schemes to create jobs employing currently unemployed workers directly to repair boarded-up council houses and establish a council-run farm/market-gardening enterprise, as well as major expansion in the provision of allotments and community garden, so that local citizens could grow their own food.
PBPA also have two motions dealing with bin taxes, calling on the Council to cease threats and legal action against those unable to pay bin taxes and to restore the full waiver scheme for those on low incomes.
The PBPA proposals come, as it is anticipated that County Manager, Owen Keegan, will today give a financial report, suggesting significant cut-backs in Council spending. PBPA believe the focus should be on generating public enterprise and job creation rather than deflationary cut-backs.
Cllr Richard Boyd Barrett said:

The People Before Profit Alliance today called for full support and solidarity with striking electricians. In a joint statement PBPA councillors, Joan Collins, Brid Smith, Richard Boyd Barrett, Hugh Lewis and Gino Kenny, saluted the TEEU for taking a strong stand in defence of workers rights.

Families and supporters of respite patients in Cherryorchard Hospital staged a protest outside the HSE headquarters at Dr. Stevens Hospital on Thursday 9th July .

The carers and their families with the support of People Before Profit held a protest on Friday 3rd July last at 4pm.
Putting PEOPLE BEFORE PROFIT Building the New Left Wednesday July 1, 7.30pm Wynns Hotel, Abbey Street, Dublin Speakers: People Before Profit Councillors Cllr

Promises to stand with local people to fight tooth and nail to block ecocidal megaproject planned by Google in Grangecastle in South Dublin. New figures

Revelations about Eamonn Casey point yet again to the gross hypocrisy of the Bishops.These are mostly elderly males who think they have every right to

Calls For Broad Mobilisation To Face Down Far-Right Terror Campaign The riot and arson in Coolock today is another shocking development driven by far right
Get our Weekly newsletter with all of the latest from People Before Profit
| Cookie | Duration | Description |
|---|---|---|
| cookielawinfo-checbox-analytics | 11 months | This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". |
| cookielawinfo-checbox-functional | 11 months | The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". |
| cookielawinfo-checbox-others | 11 months | This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. |
| cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary | 11 months | This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". |
| cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance | 11 months | This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". |
| viewed_cookie_policy | 11 months | The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. It does not store any personal data. |