Protest at Dublin City Council Budget

Dublin City Council play Scrooge. from Paula Geraghty on Vimeo.

Fianna Fail introduced the Budget attacking the public sector, the poorest in Irish society and public service users.
It was the turn of Labour and Fine Gael to add to the burden of pensioners, carers and those on social welfare and other government supports by voting for the Council Estimates. This got rid of the Bin Tax waiver scheme, increased waste charges for residents by 5% and reducing commercial rates by 2%.

 

A protest was called at short notice outside Dublin City Hall.

Above video: See and hear Brid Smith and Joan Collins (both from People Before Profit) and other councillors; Cllrs Louise Minihan (Ind), Cieran Perry, (Ind),  give their opinions on what was happening and what Dublin residents can do.

Read More »

People Before Profit Alliance Councillors to oppose cuts in Council budgets

Protest at Dublin City Hall, Monday December 21, 6.15 pm

Removal of waivers for bin charges to hit social welfare recipients

People Before Profit Alliance Councillors Joan Collins and Brid Smyth, Dublin City Council, Richard Boyd Barrett and Hugh Lewis, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown Council, and Gino Kenny, Dublin South today condemned cuts in the rate support grant from central government to local authorities which will be reflected in cuts in local services, job losses and increased charges for householders.

Councillor Joan Collins said, “On Monday Dublin City Council will propose a budget including the removal of the waiver for bin charges from the low paid and social welfare recipients. This will hit 40,000 pensioners and social welfare recipients many of whom are facing cuts in their payments as a result of the government budget announced last week. Depending on how often they use the service, they could be faced with charges for each lift, costing up to 150euro a year which they did not previously have to pay. So much for the government not attacking old age pensioners in the recent budget”.

Read More »

Racist attacks terrorise Clondalkin family

THE “vindictive” and sustained attacks on a non-national family in Clondalkin, which included a petrol bomb attack on their house, have shocked a councillor who visited with them on December 3.Following up upon a query he raised with South Dublin County Council’s Joint Policing Committee, People Before Profit Cllr Gino Kenny spoke to the family who have been harassed for over six months.

He said: “When I was out canvassing before the elections in the Summer, I came across two cases and, with one case in particular, I was shocked by how bad it was. It was very vindictive and carried out just because of (the colour of their skin).

“They had windows smashed, someone tried to burn out their car and a petrol bomb was thrown through a window and left the carpet burned. It was lucky that no-one was seriously harmed.  Cllr Kenny added: “I dropped by on Thursday and the family were still shaken. By all accounts the attacks have not stopped.”

The attacks were reported to the gardaí and are one of seven reported instances of racially motivated criminal damage to homes of ‘minority groups’ in South West Dublin this year.  A similar incident occurred in June of this year when a Congolese family were relocated to another house in South Dublin by the council from the Lindisfarne area, where they had been subject to damage to their home and car.

 

Read More »

Budget attacks the poor, the disabled, the low paid, the sick, youth and children

United Alliance Against Cuts Press Conference on Budget 2010 (December 11th 2009)

In a statement today the People Before Profit Alliance said the budget must be resisted. It represents an unprecedented assault on the living standards of the most vulnerable in society.

Councillor Richard Boyd Barrett
said “This heartless government have shown yet again that it’s determined to punish the poor and those on low and modest incomes for the failures of bankers, developers and the politicians. Throughout the country many people are facing the prospect of a miserable Christmas. This government has decided to impoverish large numbers of people. There was load cheering in board rooms and trophy homes on Wednesday as the government failed yet again to lay a finger on the superrich.
The budget is an unprecedented assault on public sector workers including those on very low incomes. This is at the behest of employers who want to drive ages down across the economy.”

Councillor Joan Collins said “This budget has lots of cuts for workers and the poor. What it does not contain is a wealth levy, the closing down of a tax breaks for the rich or a higher rate of tax for top earners.
Cuts in job seekers allowance for young people will lead to mass emigration. There are no jobs in this budget yet the government wants to pretend that young people are out of work because welfare rates are too high. It is now clear that this government lives in a parallel universe far removed from the problems of ordinary people who just can’t make ends meet.
Cuts in income will seriously deflate the economy and lead to a lengthening of dole queues.

Read More »

Budget 2010: An assault On the Poor and Low and Middle Income Earners

People Before Profit says:
  • Resist This Assault On the Poor and Low and Middle Income Earners
  • Budget will lengthen dole queues
  • Support Major Protest Against Budget on Saturday

In a statement today the People Before Profit Alliance said the budget must be resisted. It represents an unprecedented assault on the living standards of the poor and low and middle-income earners.

Councillor Richard Boyd Barrett
said “ This heartless government have shown yet again that it’s determined to punish the poor and those on low and modest incomes for the failures of bankers, developers and the politicians. While major cuts are to imposed on social welfare recipients and low paid public sector workers the super rich have got off scott free. The reduction of child benefit will mean more hardship for hard-pressed families.

The government is taking €425 million off social welfare recipients but only €55m from those benefiting from a range of tax breaks with income over €125,000. Over 180,000 public servants earning less than the average industrial wage will lose 5% of their income.”

Read More »

Economic Case for the CDPs

The current report is based on audit of all 18 CDPs in counties Cork and Kerry. The rationale for the current research is that decisions which are currently being taken to end the current CDP programme cannot be justified on either economic or social grounds. There is no economic or social benefit to the government or civil society arising from the current plans to shut down CDPs. Those who are work at the coal face within the CDPs know the value of the work involved together with its breadth and extent. They know that the contribution that CDPs make to service provision, employment, education, social care and quality of life in communities all over the country is hugely significant and far outweighs the cost to the state of investing in them, both on economic and social grounds. Focusing solely in economics, CDP managers have known for some time that the loss of employment, services, volunteers and other CDP outputs that would arise from shutting them down would be more than equal to the funding they receive. Even on this narrow economic focus, community workers in the CDPs always suspected that there would be no economic saving to the state if the projects were to be closed.

Read More »

Widespread Campaign of Opposition Must Be Organised now

Following the Breakdown in Talks People Before Profit Says:

  • Attacks On Workers And Social Welfare Recipients Must Be Resisted

  • Widespread Campaign of Opposition Must Be Organised

  • Discredited Union Leaders Should Step Aside

Widespread Campaign of Opposition Must Be Organised.

The People Before Profit Alliance this evening called for a campaign of widespread opposition to government plans to cut public services and pay by €4 billion. If the leaders of the trade union movement will not lead such a campaign they should step aside.

ICTU- utterly discredited
 

Councillor Richard Boyd Barrett said “There can be no doubt now that this government is determined to make ordinary people pay for a crisis they did not create. Wide-ranging cuts are to be implemented which will see services cut, social welfare cut and the pay of public servants cut. This disastrous and incompetent government’s action will further damage the economy creating more unemployment in the process. These cuts will have a devastating effect on working class communities across the country.

Read More »

Eamonn Casey:  Hypocrisy And Rape

Revelations about Eamonn Casey point yet again to the gross hypocrisy of the Bishops.These are mostly elderly males who think they have every right to

Sign up For Our Newsletter

Get our Weekly newsletter with all of the latest from People Before Profit