PEOPLE BEFORE PROFIT PUBLIC MEETING

WHATS THE POLITICAL ALTERNATIVE TO THE CUTS?

Speaker: Eamonn McCann, Author and Journalist

Date: Wed 3rd Nov. 7.30pm

Venue: Culturlann, Falls Road Belfast.

The Con-Dem Comprehensive Spending Review of 20th October declared the worst attack on public services and the welfare state since its establishment.

The Tories are gearing up for class war – they want to make working people pay for the crisis caused by their rich friends in banking.

Further restrictions on housing benefit for under- 35s, coupled with those already contained in the June budget, will mean even more people faced with homelessness.

Read More »

PROTESTS OVER 46A AND OTHER BUS CUTS CONTINUE TODAY AS DUBLIN BUS ADDRESS COUNCIL

LAST SATURDAY PROTEST SUCCESSFULLY ‘KIDNAPS’ 46A AND BRINGS IT BACK THROUGH FARM

Residents of the Monkstown Farm and Stradbrook areas will assemble outside Dun Laoghaire Co. Council this evening (Mon Nov 1st) at 4.50pm to protest at the removal of the 46a bus from the Monkstown Farm area and other cuts to the 4a and 746 bus services.

Dublin Bus representatives will attend the Council’s transport area committee tonight to discuss local bus services and the new city-wide Dublin Bus network review, which will see 90 buses removed from the city fleet leading to cut backs in a wide range of areas across the city.

Dublin Bus’s attendance at tonight’s meeting follows the recent passing of a motion proposed by Cllr Richard Boyd Barrett (People Before Profit Alliance) condemning the cuts and calling for Dublin Bus to be brought before the Council.

Tonight’s protest is the latest of a series of protests in an on-going campaign by local residents aimed at forcing Dublin Bus to restore the 46a to Monkstown Farm and reverse the cuts to the 4a and 746 services.

Lat Saturday (Oct 30th), more than 100 residents – many of them elderly – surrounded two 46a’s at Kill O the Grange, preventing them following the new 46a route and escorting them for 2km along their traditional route through Monkstown Farm.

These Saturday protests are set to continue over the coming weeks. The campaign has now also collected almost 2000 signatures on a petition calling for the reversal of the cuts to local bus services.

Read More »

NEW BATHS PROPOSALS: A LONG OVERDUE STEP FORWARD

Press Release – October 5th

In a statement, Cllr Richard Boyd Barrett, chairperson of the Save our Seafront group (SOS) has expressed relief that Dun Laoghaire –Rathdown Co. Council has finally put proposals for the redevelopment of Dun Laoghaire Baths before Councillors. 

The proposals were put before Councillors at a briefing meeting in the Council offices earlier this week (Oct 4th) , and included drawings and a minature model. 

The unveiling of the proposals follows protests organised by SOS over recent weeks at the failure of the Council to progress the redeveopment of the baths. 

The new proposals envisage a fully public amenity with a swimming pool, cafe, public viewing area and a walkway around the Baths joining Newtownsmith and the East pier. The proposals put also retain the existing  main baths pavillion and do not reach over the existing height of the baths building. 

Cllr Boyd Barrett said that the new plans represent a 180 – degree turn from previous schemes to build high-rise apartment blocks or reconstruct the entire seafront, and as such were a victory for the public and the Save Our Seafront campaign. 

There are some areas for concern in the proposals – particularly in terms of the envisaged breakwater around the baths that will extend to the east pier and planned changes to the rear entrance to the People’s Park. 

Cllr Boyd Barrett said, however, that the key was now to allow the public to have their say on the new proposals and that those public views should inform the final plan before work on the baths begins. 

The proposals are due to go on public display in the next few weeks. 

Cllr Boyd Barrett, chairperson of the Save Our Seafront group said: 

Read More »

Book of condolences and major protest for Blair visit

 

IRISH ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT

Press Release – August 26th

-ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT TO OPEN BOOK OF CONDOLENCES THIS WEEKEND FOR VICTIMS OF BLAIR’S WARS.

-MAJOR MOBILISATION UNDERWAY FOR PROTEST DURING BLAIR DUBLIN VIST

The Irish Anti-War Movement (IAWM) has announced it will open a book of condolences this weekend in Dublin for the victims of Tony Blair’s military actions and foreign policies in Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine.

The book of condolences will be gathered in Dublin’s city centre in the coming week as part of the preparations for a major demonstration on Saturday September 4th during Mr Blair’s visit to Dublin to launch his memoirs.

The book of condolences will be located near Eason’s, as this is where Mr Blair is due to hold the book-signing event on the morning of September 4th.

The demonstration on that day will assemble at 11.00am at the Garden of Remembrance, Parnell Square, before marching to Eason’s where Tony Blair’s book signing event will be taking place.

The protest will focus on Tony Blair’s key role in launching the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq that have claimed hundreds of thousands of lives and devastated both countries.

It will also focus on Blair’s complicity – both as Prime Minister and now as EU envoy to the Middle East – with the war crimes and human rights abuses committed by Israel against the Palestinians.

The protest will also highlight the continued complicity of the Irish government with the wars launched by former US president George Bush and Mr Blair – in allowing US troops to use Shannon airport and through the direct involvement of a small number of Irish troops in the Afghan conflict. 

Read More »

Five years since the people marched… WHERE ARE OUR BATHS? – Public Swimming Amenity Now!

PUBLIC MEETING ON STILL DERELICT BATHS TO TAKE PLACE IN DUN LAOGHAIRE NEXT WEEK
CAMPAIGNERS TO HIGHLIGHT COUNCIL’S FAILURE TO RESTORE BATHS DURING THIS WEEKENDS FESTIVAL OF WORLD CULTURES

Public Meeting

Five years since the people marched…

WHERE ARE OUR BATHS? – Public Swimming Amenity Now!

Wednesday July 28th at 7.30pm

Kingston Hotel, Dun Laoghaire

Members of the Save Our Seafront group (SOS) – the group that organised protests of thousands a number of years ago against plans to build apartments on the Dun Laoghaire Baths site – will campaign this weekend during the Dun Laoghaire Festival of World Cultures, calling for action by the Council to restore the derelict baths as a public swimming amenity.

SOS campaigners, along with many local residents, are now very frustrated that it is five years since huge numbers of local residents marched on the Baths issue and yet, despite promises, still no action has been taken by the Council to restore the baths.

SOS will have a visible presence on Saturday and Sunday of the Festival near the baths, accompanied by a large banner saying: “Give us our baths now!” and intend to distribute thousands of leaflets to festival goers.

The SOS leaflets will also advertise a public meeting on the issue of the Baths that will take place the following week, on Wednesday July 26th at 7.30pm in the Kingston Hotel, on Dun Laoghaire’s seafront.

 

Read More »

Families take fight over respite care to the door of the HSE

Families call on Minister For Health to intervene
On Thursday 22nd July the Save Cherry Orchard Hospital Campaign took their protest to the HSE main offices beside Heuston Station.

Management in Cherry Orchard have told family and community representatives that they intend permanently closing an 18 bed unit which houses patients with althziemers and dementia.

Families of current patients in the Laurel Unit have bitterly complained and protested that shifting their loved ones out of the environment that they have become familiar with will cause immense distress and upset. The families are also concerned that this will not be the last move that will be forced upon them.

The hospital have a staffing crisis every Summer and hide behind the recruitment embargo to force through cuts to the service. This time engaging four new nursing and care staff would resolve the staffing crisis in this unit and would ensure it could remain open.

Marie Dodrill whose husband lives in the Laurel Unit said "No way will I give the hospital permission to move my husband. This has become his home and is one of the best units in the hospital. We will fight to keep the Laurel Unit open and to keep every bed in Cherry Orchard Hospital. The families are calling on the Mary Hraney to get involved in sorting this problem out. This is not a big problem but it is having a huge impact on all the families involved."

Read More »

Support the Otis Strikers!

  Otis lift strikers are on their third day of industrial action against their employer Otis who have chosen to impose compulsory redundancies rather than

Read More »

PBPA SAYS COUNCIL WORKERS OPPOSITION TO BIN PRIVATISATION JUSTIFIED

BIN CHARGES & PRIVATISATION, PLANNED WATER CHARGES PART OF LONG-TERM AGENDA TO PRIVATISE ALL VITAL PUBLIC SERVICES

 

In a statement, Cllr Richard Boyd Barrett of the People Before Profit Alliance (PBPA) has said the announcement today by SIPTU that Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Council workers will strike against County Manager, Owen Keegan’s, plans to discontinue the Council bin service, were entirely justified.

PBPA said the Manager’s recent announcement of his plan to discontinue the service was the culmination of a long term campaign to privatise waste collection, which began with the introduction of bin taxes ten years ago.

PBPA said that the introduction of bin charges and the commercialisation of waste collection was rigged from the start to favour the private operators and now opened the way for the privatisation of water and other vital services.

PBPA said that private operator PANDA now had a virtual monopoly of waste collection in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, and that even if its charges were slightly lower currently, they would increase in years to come, as had happened everywhere else in the country.

Read More »

COUNCIL TENANTS IN DUN LAOGHAIRE PLAGUED WITH RATS

In a statement, Cllr Richard Boyd Barrett has said the failure of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Co Council and the HSE to deal with a rat infestation affecting Council tenants in Dun Laoghaire was totally unacceptable.

Tenants along a row of Council houses on Desmond Ave in Central Dun Laoghaire have been plagued with rats for several weeks but measures taken by the Council and the HSE have failed to address the problem.

Tenants who have children in their homes are particularly terrified and already very young children have encountered rats jumping out of bins in the communal lane at the back of the row of Council houses.

In desperation, some tenants have even taken to trying to kill the rats by hand using skewers forks and shovels.

Cllr Boyd Barrett has contacted the Council to tell them that the measures taken to date to deal with the infestation have not worked and that immediate action is required.

Cllr Richard Boyd Barrett said:
“This situation is totally unacceptable. Council tenants should not have to put up with these intolerable conditions. The Council, as landlord, and the HSE, as the health and safety authority, have an obligation to sort this problem out immediately.

While no-one should have to put up with this, it is particularly worrying that children are encountering these rats and their safety is being put at risk. Young children – as young as 2 years old – have been in the lane, when rats jumped out from behind bins – terrifying them. Something has to be done about this straight away.

Read More »

Eamonn Casey:  Hypocrisy And Rape

Revelations about Eamonn Casey point yet again to the gross hypocrisy of the Bishops.These are mostly elderly males who think they have every right to

Sign up For Our Newsletter

Get our Weekly newsletter with all of the latest from People Before Profit